Liquor Licenses

New Jersey’s Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) regulates the sale and consumption of alcohol in the state but delegates the routine licensing and enforcement tasks to the individual municipalities. Consequently, the township council serves as the issuing authority and the township clerk’s office handles the issuance, renewal and transfer of liquor licenses within Fredon Township.

The overview and form downloads which follow cover the most commonly requested information. For further assistance, please contact the Fredon Township Clerk at 973-383-7025, Ext. 111.

NJ Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control website

Retail Licenses

As already mentioned, retail liquor licenses are handled by the township clerk’s office. With the exception of renewals, most licensing activity undertaken by licensees is initiated by way of the 12-page Application for Retail Alcoholic Beverage License.

This application is to be used for new licenses, person-to-person and place-to-place transfers, partnership changes, changes in corporate structure and extensions of the license to an administrator, executor, trustee or other court-appointed fiduciary. The individual pages of this application are also used to amend information when completion of the entire application is not required. Since the same application is used for all types of licenses, you may find that some of the requested information does not apply to your particular situation. Detailed instructions are included in the application package.


The licensing period for retail licenses runs from July 1 to June 30 of the following year and licenses must be renewed annually. Licenses are renewed utilizing the online system by the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control.


All fees, payable by check or money order to Fredon Township, at the time of filing with the township clerk. In addition to the municipal fees, there is a separate $200.00 filing fee payable to the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control for all new licenses, transfers and renewals.

Application for Special Permit for Social Affair

Must be applied for at least 3 weeks in advance through the ABC’s POSSE system

Nonprofit organizations that wish to hold a fundraising event at which alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase must submit an application for a permit authorizing this activity. Pursuant to state code, the monies derived from the event should be used for civic, religious, educational or other purposes that are not for personal or profit making corporate gain. Organizations are limited to 12 one-day special permits in a calendar year. The fee for this permit is $100.00 per day for civic, religious and educational organizations and $150.00 for any other type of nonprofit organization.