Marriage License Applications
An Appointment is required for submitting your marriage application. Please call 973-383-7025, Ext. #111 to schedule.
How to apply for a marriage license:
Complete the marriage license application form available here. You may also get an application form at the Fredon Township Registrar’s office. Do not sign the marriage application form before going to the Local Registrar.
Appointments may be scheduled between the hours of 8 AM and 3 PM, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday by calling
973-383-7025 X 111.
Requirements when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of identity - government issued photo ID such as driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Social Security number
- A witness, 18 years of age or older
- The $28 application fee - cash or check made payable to "Fredon Township". We are not able to accept credit or debit cards.
The following criteria must be met before two people can enter a marriage:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this state or recognized by this state;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Where to apply:
- Apply for the marriage license in the New Jersey municipality where either party resides. The license is valid throughout New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
fter you apply:
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Fredon Township Registrar.
Once the marriage license is issued following the 72-hour waiting period and is taken from the registrar’s office, it is valid for a period of 30 days. The marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year. Only one marriage license may be granted from a marriage application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28 fee remitted.
When completing the Marriage License the day of the ceremony:
Officiant and witness fill out the four forms. Please be careful and DO NOT have any cross outs on the two white copies that are returned to the municipality where the ceremony is performed.
"Officiant" is not a valid title - Any licenses with the title Officiant listed will not be accepted
Applicable religious titles in the State of New Jersey are as follows:
- Aaronic Priest
- Melchizedek Priest
- High Priest